2. Before she met Rainier she used to date Cary Grant for 6 years.
3. Before she got engaged to Rainier Grace was engaged to fashion designer Oleg Cassini. Oleg Cassini was famous for his designs for Jackie Kennedy.
4. John F. Kennedy used to be a big fan of Grace. He would sometimes ask her out on a date before he got engaged to Jackie.
5. Grace Kelly won an Oscar for her performance in the movie The Country Girl.
6. Grace Kelly and John F. Kennedy both had daughters in 1957 they named Caroline.
7. In 1966 Grace went to the Gucci boutique in Milan to buy a scarf. But Rodolfo Gucci, son of the founder, Guccio Gucci didn't think any of the existing Gucci scarves were deserving enough for the beautiful princess so he made the iconic Flora pattern for Grace. Little did he know that the pattern would become an iconic design. Grace wore her Flora scarf and later her daughter, Princess Caroline wore a blouse with the same pattern. When the Flora pattern was re-introduced recently by Frida Giannini, who better to model the pattern other than Grace's granddaughter, Charlotte Casiraghi. Below is a photo of Princess Caroline wearing a Flora blouse in 1973, a 1966 Flora scarf, Grace Kelly with Prince Rainier - Grace wearing Flora scarf. The bottom two photos are from a recent Gucci campaign where Charlotte Casiraghi models a Flora blouse and a Flora dress.
9. If you are interested in owning a vintage Gucci Flora scarf, you can probably find one on eBay. They sell for around $200.
10. Grace met Rainier when she was filming To Catch a Thief.
11. Grace starred in a total of 29 films during her rather short movie career.
12. In 1993 Grace became the first actress ever to appear on a US stamp.
13. Grace's father, John B. Kelly was a successful sculler and won three Olympic medals in his career.
14. Grace's uncle, George Kelly was a successful playwright who won a Pulitzer for his work.
15. Grace was good friends with John F. Kennedy and Jackie all her life.
16. Only 6 of Grace's grandchildren are in the line of succession to the Monegasque throne.
17. The first child of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier was born exactly nine months and four days after their wedding day.
18. In 2007, the British singer Mika came out with a song called Grace Kelly. It was widely popular and became an international hit.
19. Grace was a big fan of Hérmes. She used to frequently wear one of their bags and it came in handy when she was pregnant and wanted to keep her pregnancy a secret. She could carry her bag in front of her belly, hiding the pregnancy from photographers. Hérmes later named the bag after her, The Kelly bag.
|Grace Kelly with her Hérmes Kelly bag|
20. After Grace's marriage to Rainier all of Grace's films were banned in Monaco.
21. Grace's religious marriage wedding dress was a gift from MGM. It was designed by Helen Rose, a costume designer for MGM and a good friend of Grace's.
22. Grace's bridesmaids wore pale yellow, custom made dresses from Neiman Marcus. To complete their outfits they wore yellow hats and white wrist length gloves.
23. Among the wedding guests at Grace and Ranier's wedding were Aristotle Onassis and his wife Athina Onassis.
24. Charlotte Casiraghi, Grace and Rainiers granddaughter and Athina Onassis de Miranda, Aristotle and Athina's granddaughter are good friends and fellow equestrians.
25. Prince Sebastian von Fürstenberg was a pageboy at Grace and Rainier's wedding. Sebastian is a cousin to Rainier and brother of Egon von Fürstenberg.